I am partial to a dabble in the kitchen. I can make spanakopita (Kate Langbroek’s recipe), curry, muffins and cake. That’s about it. I can also make a mean ‘black toast’ which is what my two year old calls vegemite on toast, and currently all that he will put in his trap.
My fave cake to make at the moment is so easy it feels criminal taking compliments for it. It’s an orange and poppy seed delight that dare I say is MOIST. Like most people, I’m not one to use that word, but when it comes to this cake there is simply no other explanation, just moist deliciousness.
Here is what you need:
x2 large oranges
x4 eggs (whisk them)
3/4 cup of honey/maple syrup or sugar
2 cups almond meal
1/2 teaspoon GOOD salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup of poppy seeds
What you need to do:
Stick with me, I was nearly turned off by the first step but did it and am SO thankful I did.
– Boil a pot of water and pop your oranges in it. Make sure the oranges are covered by the boiling water. Boil them for 1.5 hours with skin on. (Don’t click off now, just do it. I pop mine on while I am cooking dinner, or cleaning or something like that, it’s not as annoying as it sounds)
-Pre-heat your oven to 150 degrees fan forced
– Once the oranges are nice and soft, blend them up so they are nice and smooth (skin ON)
– Add all of the other ingredients, plus the oranges to a bowl and mix well (I just use a wooden spoon)
– Line a cake tin (any average size will do ya) with baking paper
– Put the mixture into the the lined cake tin and pop in the oven
– Cook for approx 50 mins
– Take out and let it cool and EAT THE SHIT OUT OF IT.
My boys LOVE this cake, sometimes I make them into muffins as well, I just don’t bake them for as long.
Really yummy warmed up with some vanilla ice cream too.
You could also make a cream cheese icing for this but it doesn’t need it, only if you want extra fabulousness.
Thank me later.