I’m one of those people who doesn’t like to say no and tends to go full pelt at everything I do. I put everything I have into my work, my family, my friends, but I can be a little neglectful of myself sometimes. I reckon a lot of women are like this.
Usually the only signs that I am going too hard is when my health plays up and I turn into a grumpy cow. It would be nice if I could slow down before these signs arise but I’m a bit hopeless like that.
Recently I have hit grumpy cow phase again so have decided to make some changes that I intend on sticking to. They are just little changes (let’s not get too crazy here), little things I have swapped to bring more of that elusive ‘B’ word into my life… B-b-b-balance. Already I have noticed a difference in my body and mood and my husband is bloody thrilled!!
I thought I’d share this with you in case like me, you need to make a few changes in your life.
- Meditation: I have always been the kind of person that’s wanted to meditate but never actually did it. Until now. Now I’m practically the Dalai Lama. Okay, not quite but don’t break my stride. My mind goes nuts all day every day and when I tried meditating I always thought I was doing it wrong because I couldn’t ‘quieten’ my mind. I’ve now swapped the ten minutes I spend before bed every night scrolling through Instagram for a guided meditation instead. Sometimes my mind still races through the whole meditation, but I can catch my thoughts now and then and bring myself back to focusing on my breath. Doing it before bed is helping me fall asleep easier too and I know that the long term benefits of meditating means it’s well worth sticking at it.
I’ve now swapped the ten minutes I spend before bed every night scrolling through Instagram for a guided meditation instead
- I am trying Vitasoy’s Almond Milk and it’s a winner. Almond milk contains vitamin E which is a bonus and I prefer it so much more in my tea and use it in everything else from my porridge and even cooking now. I make a mean almond milk chia pudding that both my little lady and I love for breakfast.
- Digital Detox Sundays! I spend every day pretty much glued to my phone. I don’t want to be but my work means I need to be available and on top of things. I am ADDICTED to it. I decided to give up my phone on a Sunday. I do need to check back in on the world on a Sunday night but during the day there is NO PHONE and NO COMPUTER and it’s heaven! I am so much more present with my little lady and my husband.
- Walk it out! Instead of an extra 30 minutes in the bed in the mornings, three mornings a week I am getting up to go for a walk. I know, I’m basically a hero! If I do it at the start of my day it really sets me up for the rest of the day. 30 minutes isn’t an overwhelming amount of time either and the endorphins it gives me is worth every second.
- Bring on the music! The TV is always on in the background at my place. It is just a habit that when we wake up we pop it on. Recently I have swapped the dulcet tones of Karl Stefanovic for music and the energy in our house has changed a lot (sorry Karl). It has also changed my little girls mood a lot, especially at 5pm. She loves it and dances more around the house.
They are all such small shifts but sometimes that’s all you need to make a difference. Give it a whirl, you’ll be zen as hell.