Growing up as a kid, there was no snack as cool or damn bloody delicious as Cottee’s Ice Magic. If all you had in your freezer was a tub of boring old vanilla ice cream, good old Ice Magic never failed to jazz that shit up in the form of a hard, choc shell. The best bit, of course, was the waiting – after pouring a mountain of runny topping on your scoops, you’d literally be salivating while you waited for that puppy to set so you could dig in.
The Ice Magic-to-ice cream ratio was kinda like Milo and milk – it was go hard or go home. And we went harrrrrrrd on the stuff.
For those of you who grew up in the 80’s and early 90’s like us, this ad will give you a serious nostalgia kick…
As if you don’t remember every. single. word.
My kids have never even heard of Ice Magic let alone tasted it, so when I showed them this ad they were keen. Of course, you can still buy it at the supermarket, but because we’re not making any unnecessary trips to the shops at the moment (iso life), I came across this killer recipe that’ll I’ll be whipping up tonight that literally consists of just TWO ingredients. That’s my kinda recipe.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 and 1/4 cup of chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil (melted)
WHAT YOU DO:
- Mix your choc chips and coconut oil in a glass dish or jug.
- Microwave the mix for 30 second intervals and stirring each time, until the choc is melted.
- Stir all that melted goodness together until it’s mixed evenly.
- Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes until it’s no longer piping hot.
- Pour that glorious mixture all over your ice cream and allow about 30 seconds to a minute for it to set, just like Ice Magic.
- Accept applause from your family and dig in.
If you want to see this recipe in action, check out this vid –
Keep the leftovers in an airtight container and just heat up and use as needed (erryday). If you’re the creative type, muck around with flavours and if you’re out of choc chips, I reckon left over Easter eggs could work a treat too.
Monty and I did an entire podcast on old-school foods we loved on today’s ep of Blast From The Pre-Corona Past. Get it in your ears below and don’t forget to subscribe for more here.