Kylie Minogue is 50, FIFTY!! And while the dame celebrates this milestone birthday, let’s take a look back at some of the most memorable moments of her life and career that have kept us charmed, captivated and dancing in the aisles.
Because she is OUR pop Princess and you will bow down, bitches!
- Kyles was just a teenage pup when she auditioned for ‘Neighbours’, who were looking to add a bunch of new characters to the show to boost ratings. Her initial week-long contract turned into a two-year stint as mechanic Charlene.
Scott and Charlene’s wedding is regularly voted as one of the most memorable scenes in Australian TV history!!!
(And I’m not gonna lie – Kylie & Jason’s ‘Especially For You’ is still one of my all-time fav duets – this shit is classic.
- Remember when Kylie was the squeaky-clean girl next door? THEN she met Michael Hutchence. The 21-year old fell in love and fell HARD. Kylie shed her good-girl image as she embraced her inner sex kitten for the music videos for ‘Shocked’ and ‘What Do I have to Do.’
Reflecting on their relationship, Kylie has said: “I met a new person and I fell in love. Yes, he was this wild guy, he was the rocker, he was all of that… he was poetic, he was cultured and hilarious and tender, he was all of these other things.”
“I mean he was uber, uber famous. He was an icon already. And he was in the middle of the audience, just gazing up at me, and just willing me, willing me with all of his heart and his love to do well, and he believed in me and it was a time when so many people didn’t.”
“I had so many firsts with him. I’d never met anyone like that. Let’s just say I was 21 and my eyes were open to the world.”
- Arguably her most infamous look is thanks those teeny tiny gold hot pants, bought by her thrifty stylist mate from a UK Market for about 1 buck. She wore them in the music video for ‘Spinning Around’, the hot pants have become iconic, now permanently rehoused at the Melbourne Arts Centre, where no one is even allowed to get their mitts on them without putting on a pair of white gloves first!
- Her debut movie role was as Lola in ‘The Delinquents’, a Romeo and Juliet-ish pair of teenagers in the 1950s. It’s also a bit like ‘The Notebook’ but with Australian accents.
Fast forward 12 years, and Kylie made a brief but memorable appearance as The Green Fairy in Baz Luhrmann’s ‘Moulin Rouge’, a character that was originally supposed to be a ‘long haired muscle man’, voiced by Ozzy Osbourne! A solid re-think on that one, Baz.
And let’s not forget her scene-stealing cameo as Brett and Kim’s daughter Epponnee-Raelene Kathleen Darlene Charlene Craig on ‘Kath and Kim’. Sporting a Charlene-esque perm, Kylie appears in a dream sequence as the characters imagine what a grown-up Epponnee-Rae would be like getting married and the result is hysterical.
- When you hear the name Kylie in Australia, you instantly think MINOGUE. However, Kylie Jenner of the Kardashian clan tried to register the name ‘KYLIE’ for advertising and endorsement services.
Minogue’s legal team clapped back, calling Jenner a “secondary reality-television personality” – OUCH! Our Kylie was quick to point out that it was obviously lawyer-speak and that those words had not come from her. Whilst making it clear that the fight was not personal, she proved that you can still be a lady whilst fighting for what you deserve.
The two teams managed to resolve the dispute out of court, with our Kylie saying things will now be clear whether it’s a Kylie Minogue product or a Kylie Jenner product.
- But in 1986, Kylie and her little sis Dannii hit the stage on ‘Young Talent Time’ (where you at, Bevan?!) to perform ‘Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves.’ Cranking out there best chorie in a pair of matching silver sequined dresses, the Minogue sisters meant business.
- Remember ‘The Comedy Company’?? Uncle Arthur (Glenn Robbins), Con the Fruiterer (Mark Mitchell) and the instantly quotable gum-chewing teen, Kylie Mole (Mary-Anne Fahey)??? Kylie joined a couple of sketches as teen friend Rebecca and the result was well… something else.
– Kylie Minogue was in the middle of her Showgirl tour in 2005 when her world came crashing down. Feeling a lump in her breast, she was diagnosed with breast cancer at just 36.
Kylie cancelled her tour and began treatment in Paris, losing her hair thanks to rounds of radiation and chemotherapy.
“Walking to the cafe was a big deal: you’ve got no hair, no lashes, no nothing and it was like, ‘OK, I’m going to go down to the cafe.’ That was a big deal.”
Kylie kicked cancer’s ass and resumed her Showgirl tour 18 months later.
Here’s to a fierce, fabulous and phenomenal woman – Happy 50th Birthday Kylie!!
You can listen to our On The Couch chat with Dannii below and make sure you subscribe to our pod here.