When I was pregnant, if you asked me what ‘nesting’ was, I would have told you with a perfectly straight face “it’s creating a room for the baby”, but with the clarity that comes post pregnancy (albeit from a sleep deprived mother), I can get real and tell you what nesting truly is. It’s about creating:
– a creative outlet to channel ALL those emotions;
– a great excuse to cruise Pinterest for hours and fill up my phone with Instagram screen grabs;
– a way to distract myself from the pending labour;
– Plus fun decorating is just plain fun!
So let’s dive into some “gasp with cuteness” nursery mood boards that have just saved you HOURS on Instagram.
Ok, so we have to have at least one “pink for girls” in here, but did you know that pre WW1 pastel blue was considered the colour for girls (being considered a more delicate and dainty tone) and pastel pink for boys (derived from red, it was considered a stronger and more passionate colour).
The colours swapped and changed throughout the generations but seemed to settle as pink for girls, blue for boys only as recently as the 80s. Here we’ve given pastel pink a modern twist with a blush pink hue – it’s sophisticated and she won’t grow out of it as quickly. You can use the same principle for boys, just swap baby blue palette with some grey-blue tones.
(1. Rifle Paper & Co Safari Blush Wallpaper 2. Scandi Chic Wall Mounted Elephant Head 3. Youngster Giraffe Print 4. Up Up Light – Emily Green x Dale Hardiman 5. Numero 74 Cotton Canopy Tent White 6. Kip & Co AW15 Check Out Linen Cushion 7. Kate & Kate The Pop Baby Blanket 8. Matt Blatt Replica Kay Bojesen Teak Monkey Small 9. Stokke Sleepi Cot in Natural 10. Bloomingville Mongolian Lamp Fur Skin Throw / Rug in Pale Pink 11. Heirloom Wooden Binoculars 12. Kalon Caravan Dresser in Limited Edition Pink)
Summer’s coming woo hoo! Live that summer fun all year long with this modern beachy take on a traditional nautical theme. It’s bright and fun and a little more unexpected than navy blue anchors. This theme is also totally suitable for a girl or a shared room with other siblings.
(1. Rifle Paper & Co Hello Sunshine Print 2. Country Road Adler A3 Frame 3. Youngster Ukulele Print 4. Youngster Ice Cream Print 5. Love Chair in Mustard 6. Heirloom Wooden Toy Camera in Camel 7. Goodnight Light Piña Colada Pineapple Lamp in yellow 8. Blue Waves Wonder Tent 9. Grimm Stacking Wooden rainbow Small 10. Sunny Coat Rack 11. The Sparrow Cot by Oeuf )
For those of you with far more patience than myself, who plan to keep the gender a surprise, may want to consider a monotone theme. It’s bang on trend this year and the lack of colour enables you to mix lots of pattern and graphic statements without a sensory overload.
(1. Half Moon Wallpaper 2. ‘To The Moon and Back’ Banner in Black 3. Lightening Bolt Hook 4. Mint Rhapsody Noir House Playhouse 5. Oyoy Circle Rug 6. Wee Gallery Nesting Dolls Forest Friends 7. Heart Blanket 8. Full Tilt Nanna Bunny 9. Ubabub Pod cot )
MISS – CHIEF
We all know who’s the real chief of your little tribe. Here’s a room fit for a Navajo princess! Start with a neutral base and layer up with pops of colour and texture. This lace teepee is divine and if your home is too small don’t despair, a bed canopy or lace mosquito net hanging from the ceiling is just as nice.
(1. Tassel Dreamer 2. Lace Tee Pee 3. Feather Garland 4. Merci Perci Artwork 5. Wall Decal 6. Hellow Lucy Softie 7. Kalon Caravan Cot in Blue 8. Flora Fairweather Granny Square rug 9. Night light 10. Marigold Rug )
Here’s one for the loveable wild-child, the part bear/part tiger/part human child, the ball of energy with the cheeky grin and a big heart! This room is full of crazy critters and quirky fun patterns. A simple palette of primary colours helps to keep it all under control.
(1. Youngster – Leo the lion clock 2. These Walls – Leopard Palm Wallpaper in Night 3. Bride & Wolfe Mesh Shield in green 4. The Family Love Tree Child Stool Apple Green 5. Goodies Workshop Slothie 6. Full Tilt Nanna Franken-bunny 7. Arro Home Green Stripe Pom Pom Cushion 8. IKEA Mejlby 9. UBABUB Nifty 10. NooDoll Dino Wall Hook 11. NooDoll Wall Hook Ricemon)
We hope these themes give you some creative ideas when designing your nursery. Good-bye junk room, hello baby palace! Happy decorating!